Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Couch Potatoes

I like to think that my husband and I lead an active life together. We travel quite a bit, spend time working inside the house or outside in the yard, and get together with friends and family as much as possible. We haven't fallen into an unhealthy lifestyle of eating the wrong foods, smoking, or drinking too much. There is one setback though: we sometimes take the term "couch potatoes" to a whole new level. I'm not proud of it, but I'll be the first to admit that I love watching television. And most of the content I watch is respectable. Shows like "The Office" and "Mad Men" are nothing to be embarrassed about. It's not so much the quality as the quantity. Sadly, there are days when I could waste away on the couch with the remote in one hand and a bag of chips in the other. Of course, there's nothing better than when Brett and our dog join me in this sedentary phase. Sometimes lounging on the couch with the person you love is the most relaxing and pleasant feeling in the world. When I'm doing this, I can't help but think that there are a thousand other things I should be doing, like cleaning or grocery shopping, but few things will get my butt up off that cushion. Luckily, I have lured Brett into this cozy habit through his recent addiction to all those true life murder mystery specials, like on Dateline. You know–the ones that usually air on Friday nights and nine times out of ten deal with a husband who kills his wife in the woods. Anyway, he has discovered a real liking for those shows and it's safe to say that I'm using it to my advantage as a way to keep him on the couch with me, rather than lose him to the computer or worse, household work. Just last night I felt like he was getting restless sitting there with me, so what did I do? I suggested we watch the latest episode that we recorded on our DVR. Brett's face lit up with enthusiasm. Now I'm not gonna lie–some of these episodes scare the crap out of me and I'm a little concerned that Brett is learning all about the perfect way to kill your spouse, but I love our "couch time" together and I'll take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment