Thursday, February 11, 2010

Labor of Love

I'm not sure which process has felt longer: my pregnancy or the time it has taken to complete the nursery. What began the week before Christmas just ended this week. Entire homes have been built in that time. Although, it was worth the wait, as the end result is nothing short of wonderful. To say that I love our baby's nursery is an understatement. It's a calming yet fun escape from the rest of the house, which is exactly what we wanted.

When we found out we were expecting, my mind went into overdrive just thinking about all the possibilities for a nursery. I remember doing dozens of Google searches for unique designs, as well as browsing project books at our local Lowes. Together, Brett and I wanted something tasteful, simple, and original. We wanted to take what was a drab study and turn it into something that a future buyer would fall in love with. More than that, it was important for our baby to have a comfortable corner of the house. We knew ahead of time that this would be a pretty big project, but it quickly became a major overhaul. I should have known it would be a job and a half when Brett and I were looking at plywood to make our own wainscoting. Any sane couple would buy the pre-made stuff, but not us! On top of that, figuring out a design for this wainscoting was way too much geometry for my liking. It took hours and hours of calculating the length of each piece of wood, the dimensions of the room, and figuring out how it would all fit together to make a perfectly even design throughout the room. It sounded easy at first, but turned into a huge thought process.

So, over the last two months Brett has spent countless hours transforming a spare bedroom into this perfect little space for our son. The work included tearing down popcorn ceiling, painting the ceiling, priming the walls, priming and cutting plywood, attaching plywood to the wall, painting the plywood and the walls, and setting up everything else, like furniture and lighting. Oh, and then there was the artistic endeavor, which included using his skills and talents to create some turtle artwork for the walls. It's truly my favorite part of the nursery and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! Anyway, the guy worked his you-know-what off for weeks and weeks. He literally put in blood, sweat, and tears to this project. Seriously...he hammered one of his left fingers so hard that he no longer has a fingernail. Gross, but it appears to be growing back. Thank God!

So what exactly did I do to contribute to this epic remodel? On top of designing the nursery, my duties simply included picking out curtains, bedding, furniture, and other decor. I did the fun little things like make mats for picture frames and sew liners into baskets. I credit all the hard work and labor to my amazing husband. Brett has given me so much over the last eight years, but nothing compares to the dream nursery he made for us and our baby. It's simply the most wonderful room I could imagine and I'll always be grateful for it. To have a husband who cares THAT much about his baby's nursery is pretty rare. A lot of men struggle to decide whether or not they want children. Not Brett. He struggles to choose the perfect wall color for a nursery. And for that, I love him more than anything in the world.

1 comment:

  1. you could have stopped at tearing down a popcorn ceiling and i would have been more than impressed. i can't wait to see the finishing touch snug as a bug in his room!!! great job, mook and jackie :)

    ReplyDelete