Monday, September 20, 2010

Bon Appetit!

Fast forward many, many weeks since my last post and Evan is now five-months old. Five-months old and a complete handful, hence my lack of blogging since July. I had always heard that boys are more energetic than girls, require more attention, etc., but I suppose I thought maybe Evan would be a calm boy. Not so. Don't get me wrong, he is wonderful and sweet and funny, but holy cow, sometimes he is one wired baby boy. And he is growing and trying new things every day, which makes for an even more enthusiastic child. While he used to lay quietly in my arms, he now crawls on top of my shoulders like a monkey and pulls my hair as hard as he can, just because, well, he can now.

The biggest step Evan has taken lately is starting on solid foods. His first taste came on Labor Day with a sampling of rice cereal. Despite hearing a few horror stories about a baby's first solid food feeding, I think Evan did pretty well. The only disaster was caused by myself, as I accidentally spilled the cereal all over Evan's feet, the chair and floor. Isn't the baby supposed to do that?

After sticking with the tasteless cereal for two weeks (and not exactly loving it), Evan has now progressed to "real" food. This week's menu: sweet potatoes. He's only had two feedings so far, but I think he's a fan. He opens his mouth wide and smiles as I'm feeding him. That has to be a good sign, right?

I decided early on to make my own baby food. It's less expensive and I love the idea of knowing exactly what is going into Evan's belly. So yesterday I spent an hour in the kitchen preparing four weeks' worth of sweet potatoes, which I think is pretty exciting. The downside: spending all of our earnings on Shout in my attempt to salvage Evan's orange-stained clothing.

(Another mini-milestone: Evan's first "haircut." I use the term loosely because it consisted of me and Brett giving him a trim. Still, I can't believe my baby already needed a trim. Another thing we'll go broke on: trips to the barbershop!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, that face! I cannot wait to see those big brown eyes in person this weekend!

    Nice bib--did that come from Aunt Kathryn? I love the food on the face picture... way to go with the homemade baby food Jackie!

    ReplyDelete