Thursday, October 7, 2010

Three and counting...

My and Brett's wedding day was truly perfect. I don't mean perfect in the sense that the flowers were flawless or the ceremony was without a flub or two. It was perfect in that I felt nothing but happiness and love all day long, from the moment I woke up in our townhouse until I fell asleep that night in the bridal suite. Just marrying the love of my life would have been enough, but I also walked away with a day full of amazing memories with my family and friends. A wedding day brunch with my mom, sister, sister-in-law and about a dozen of my closest friends set the tone for what was truly the greatest day of my life, next to April 22, 2010, of course. Getting ready in the bridal suite was a blast, as my bridesmaids and I got pampered and stuffed ourselves with candy and champagne. I remember getting text messages from my husband-to-be warning me that he was on his way to the inn and I should stay in my room. I also remember looking out the bedroom window to the courtyard below and seeing our guests fill in the empty seats. Everyone looked slightly uncomfortable due to the 91-degree heat looming over them. Little things like that I will never forget.

Once Brett and I were finally married and kissed for the first time as husband and wife came my favorite moment of the day – walking back down the aisle together, hand in hand. The violinist played the theme from Love Actually and I was about to burst with joy. I wasn't prepared for how happy I would feel once I had actually married that boy next door who everybody called Mook. And the only thing that made the moment all the better was seeing the faces of 77 of our family members and closest friends. A few of those faces were even there that night in October 2001 when Brett and I met, which made it all the more special. It was a wonderful moment, to say the least.


In the Old Well Ballroom, we ate, drank and danced for hours. Former brides told me that I would be too busy to eat. Not so. I stuffed my face with all the food Brett and I had tried months ago and enjoyed every bite. I also downed champagne and danced with my husband all night. When I think back on the most memorable moment of the reception it has to be when all the 20 & 30-somethings took to the dance floor for "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey. (Three years ago it was cool to play this at your wedding; now it might be a tad overdone.) My 7-month pregnant sister (and matron of honor) completely let loose, which was fantastic to see.

As the DJ played "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge, the last song of the night, I danced with my husband and wished that the lights would never turn on. But alas they did and the party was officially over. Well, the classy party was over, at least. We continued the celebration at a Chapel Hill bar where we drank some more, played beer pong and sang karaoke (Kira and I did an amazing rendition of "I've Had the Time of My Life", while Burns and Greg treated us to "I Got You Babe"). Brett and I knew, however, that our fun was just beginning. We were about to experience the most incredible honeymoon ever. Seriously. It was the best trip of my life. I always say that our wedding day was perfect but I've never felt as much pure bliss as I felt during those 10 days in Maui. Perhaps the only thing better will be when we take Evan there someday and show him the greatest place on Earth. That can't come soon enough!


Happy 3 years, Brett. It's been quite the adventure and I can't wait to see what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. oh i'm tearing up reading this, love you guys so much, what an awesome couple you are!!

    ReplyDelete