Six days after Evan's 1st birthday I am still exhausted and still pondering how my little boy is one year old. One thing I've learned in my year as a mom is that time flies, especially after you have a baby.
We spent Evan's actual birthday

at the North Carolina Zoo with Nana and Grandpa. Despite patches of rain and mostly cloudy skies, we had a great day and saw all of the animals that Evan sees in his books. Even though he didn't really understand the experience, he seemed fascinated by the animals' movements and sounds. He especially enjoyed the baboons, with their active playing and loud noises. I'm guessing he could identify with them.
On Saturday we had a small pa

rty with both sets of grandparents. It was so nice having everyone here for his special day, although his aunts, uncles and cousins were greatly missed. Evan was spoiled rotten with toys, books, puzzles, and clothes. Our living room looked like a Toys "R" Us and Baby Gap exploded. Of course Evan loved playing with his new wagon, rocking horse, airplane, tool box, and school bus, among other things.
The highlight of the birthday celebration was Evan and his first taste of cake. I made him a special rubber ducky/bath time cake (since bathing is Evan's absolute favorite activity – he cries when he DOESN'T get a bath!). After singing "Happy Birthday", it was only a matter of seconds before the little guy tore right through the cake that I worked so hard on. Oh, the mess! He even managed to smash a handful of cake and icing in MY face. Some reward for bringing him into the world a year ago! It was beyond fun, though, and provided the kind of entertainment that you dream of on a baby's first birthday. It was messy, hilarious and downright adorable.

If the fun of Evan's birthday is any indication of what lies ahead this year, I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment