Monday, October 17, 2011

I love October

At the suggestion from a good friend, I've decided to get back on the blog train. I was so good about it when I was pregnant and right after Evan was born, but I've definitely let it slip over the past year. As my friend said, it will be fun to look back on these posts down the road and of course it's a great way to share our everyday life with friends and family. Thanks for the nudge, Molly!

We enjoyed a great weekend here in the Triangle. On Friday evening we joined
some friends and made our very first trek to the State Fair in Raleigh. We've lived here for more than five years but somehow we've never managed to partake in this tradition. Initially, I was only looking forward to the food, but it turns out there were some pretty fun things to see and do, aside from the many thrill rides and games. Brett and I were especially impressed with the agriculture arena, which included a 250 lb watermelon. Not too shabby! Evan enjoyed the arenas filled with cows, pigs, and horses, but his favorite part of all was the petting zoo. He made his way around the cage, feeding carrots to what seemed like an endless supply of goats. The smile on his face said it all.



Of course we also indulged in that food that I had been so enthusiastically craving
. We had our very first fried Oreo (yum!), a cinnamon and butter soft pretzel (yum!), and the best corn on the cob I've ever eaten (I'm still drooling over that one!). My waistline is lucky the fair only rolls around once a year.

On Saturday morning we piled into the car and made our way to
a pumpkin patch about 20 miles into the country. The weather was beautiful and Evan was ready to hit the farm. We cuddled on a hayride, milked fake cows, fed more goats (much to Evan's delight), strolled through a corn maze, and, of course, picked our pumpkins. After several hours of fun on the farm, we left with our three perfect pumpkins and headed home to watch Penn State beat Purdue. A winning weekend all around!



1 comment:

  1. Yeah Jackie! So glad to hear updates about Evan's comings and goings again. The state fair sounds like so much fun--we have thought about attending at some point... maybe next year with you all!

    ReplyDelete