This past Friday was nothing short of a life-changing day for me and Brett. I had my first ultrasound. Going in, I was nervous, excited, anxious and a little worried. There was definitely a plethora of emotions running through my body. Thankfully, I felt better the second I walked into the Women's Hospital on UNC's campus. For some reason, it just soothed me and calmed my nerves. It felt good to know that I would be giving birth there next Spring. I felt even more at ease once I got into the ultrasound unit, was greeted by friendly staff members, and walked into a calming room with low lighting and zero noise. I thought I died and went to heaven when the technician started rubbing warm jelly all over my ever-growing stomach. I always expected the really cold stuff, like you see on TV and in the movies, so I was pleasantly surprised. Sadly, this was the best I had felt since July. It felt more like a spa than a hospital. I was just waiting for a pool boy to walk in and offer me a lemonade. Honestly, I think I could have spent the entire weekend in that room and been just fine. Too bad I didn't bring pajamas and a toothbrush. Maybe next time?Anyway, the ultrasound was even more incredible than I imagined. I heard stories from my sister and my good friend, Lyndi who both told me how exciting an experience it is, but I had no idea. I was not prepared for seeing my unborn child on that screen. It didn't seem real that that little person was in fact inside of me. In fact, it felt more like I was watching a movie. Whatever the case, it was just amazing and I wish we could have watched all day. Brett and I didn't say a word to each other for a good 20 minutes, as we were both enthralled by what we were looking at. Fortunately, the technician gave us a great report and said our baby is healthy and well. Any other news was just icing on the cake after that. But of course I'd be kidding if I said we weren't anxious to learn whether or not we'd be buying blue or pink, so it was a huge relief that we walked out of the hospital knowing that we will be having a boy! The words still go through my head 48 hours later, and I'm sure they will until he makes his big arrival. Upon hearing this news, I immediately teared up and looked at our son on that screen. To say that was a surreal moment is an understatement. I hope I never forget it.
Right away, I made several phone calls. After about a good three hours of talking with family and friends, I immediately thought, "Let the planning begin!" And it has...
that is funny that you like the warm jelly so much! great post :)
ReplyDelete