It's been a strange and scary couple of days in our household. Brett and I have had a very sick dog on our hands since Sunday night, which has caused us worry and sadness ever since. Seeing our little guy curled up in a ball and moaning has been truly difficult for us, as we adore this dog like nothing else. Fortunately, it looks like Chafie is slowly healing from his sickness, but I have a feeling we'll hover over him for the next few weeks. Actually, make that years.His being sick hasn't made me realize how much I love him (I knew that all along), but it did make me realize that as pet owners, we often take our dog's or cat's health for granted and expect them to be the spirited, playful things they are 24/7. Until now, Chafie has never been ill, aside from the aftermath of having his man parts removed last year. Ouch! Brett and I are so used to having him jump on our laps or run around the house with a toy, so seeing him in this state has hit us hard, both physically and emotionally.
I have also realized that Chafie plays a key role in my and Brett's relationship, as he is the center of our attention (for now, at least) and a significant source of happiness for us both. It's safe to say that having him in our lives has only made our relationship better, stronger and most definitely happier. Everything from our time on the couch together to strolls through the neighborhood proves that Chafie is a vital part of our marriage. He is so much more than our pet. He is 1/3 of our family, soon to be 1/4. With Chafie around, life is never dull (as this week has proven) and I can't wait for all the fun, crazy, and mischievous times ahead with our four-legged friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment