Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Fab Four

Undoubtedly, one of the hardest parts about moving to a new town and developing a new life is meeting people and forming friendships. There is something almost frightening about the idea of not having a true friend within a 20 mile drive. Obviously Brett makes for an amazing husband and best friend, but a close girlfriend he is not! As an extravert, I rely heavily on my relationships with my female friends. The things we talk about are entirely different than what we discuss with our husbands. We commiserate with one another on everything from work to family matters. Luckily, I have made several close friends here in North Carolina and I feel so fortunate to have them nearby. However, I'd be kidding myself if I said they were as much of a comfort to me as my oldest and dearest friends from Pennsylvania: my fab four. It's only natural though because those girls have known me for the better part of my life. They know the right things to say and do, but at the same time, they can bring me back to reality when its necessary. And it's often necessary in my case.


Unfortunately, the five of us are scattered all over the country, with one member even living across the Atlantic. Despite our distances, we stay in better touch than I do with those friends who live ten miles down the road. My husband will tell you that I'll often say that my day was weird because I didn't hear from one of these ladies. That's how close we are and how much our friendship means to all of us. Losing touch is not an option in our case. 

Now that I have my humble abode, I can't help but think about how much I would love to have my girls over for dinner, drinks, a cookout, or any other function we would surely have together if only we lived in the same town. I can picture the five of us giggling over cocktails on our deck. I can imagine our husbands watching football in the living room while we gossip in the kitchen. I can see us baking Christmas cookies together on a Sunday afternoon and making a giant mess of flour and sugar. I dream of the day when this is a reality and I am welcoming them on a regular basis. After all, how much can your house really be a home if a handful of the people you love most never step inside it?        

No comments:

Post a Comment